Gemfields increases ruby production


The London-based company Gemfields announced that it has increased production and lowered costs at its ruby mine in the northern district of Montepuez.

In the company’s annual results for the year ending 30 June 2016, it was revealed that Gemfields produced 10.3-million carats of ruby and corundum compared with 8.4-million carats in the previous year. During the period, this produced revenue of US$73.1-million with an average price of US$45.50 per carat. Additionally, there has been a 68% increase in higher quality rough rubies discovered.

According to the statement, production costs at the mine have reduced marginally to US$2.54 per carat compared with US$2.57 in the previous year.

The company estimates that the mine holds probable ore reserves of 432-million carats, with the life of the mine put at 21 years.

Gemfields promotes itself as the world’s leading supplier of “responsibly extracted coloured gems”. It has specialised in Zambian emeralds and amethysts but has branched out into Mozambican rubies. So far, it has held six auctions of Montepuez rubies which have netted a total of US$195-million.

Gemfields holds 75% of the shares in Montepuez Ruby Mining Ltd. The other 25% are owned by the Mozambican company Mwiriti.

Source: Agencia de Informacao de Moçambique

If you like our posting and want to stay current, please follow our blog at: https://yukonservice.wordpress.com

or  click on our RSS Feed and suscribe  https://yukonservice.wordpress.com/feed/

Clearing Agent in Mozambique | Top Website | http://www.yukonservice.com | info@yukonservice.com

Yukon Services Clearing Agent License Holder
Yukon Services en Maputo | Clearing Agent in Mozambique | Top Website | Biggest English Portal | http://www.yukonservice.com | https://yukonservice.wordpress.com |
Hydrocarbon Logistics Centre | The Pemba Logistics Base | Nigerian Company Orlean Invest | Portos de Cabo Delgado (PCD)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s